Re: [awips2-users] Teaching in a Computer Lab Environment?

Neil,

We are just beginning down this road. I have two Dell Optiplex 9020 PCs each with nVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3 video card, 8 GB memory, Intel Core i5-4590 Processor (Quad Core HT, 3.3GHz, 6MB cache) running CAVE in CentOS 6.7. Each PC has two hard drives, allowing for dual boot between CentOS & MS Windows & easier reimaging of either OS. When booted into Linux, each PC is configured to auto-login with a standard local account for the sole purpose of running CAVE. CAVE client installation was fairly straightforward. We are currently using the Unidata EDEX cloud server; access to it is slow. I have to wait 1-2 minutes for times of products to show up in the menus. Display is also slow. Setting up a local EDEX server is a project I have scheduled for the next few weeks, I'm hoping this will speed up the CAVE client. Once I have the setup working more smoothly, I will migrate the rest our lab PCs to the dual boot setup.

I had read that NOAA and Unidata were separately working on developing a AWIPS 2 Thin Client which would run under Windows and use remote servers, but haven't seen any recent news regarding their efforts. If I was going to AMS or AGU in the next two months, I would definitely ask some questions about it as this has high potential for academic institutions.

Hope this helps,
Brendon

Neil Smith wrote:
Just wondering
? how many are working at/with/toward an instructional computer lab
implementation of the CAVE client?
? what is your lab setup for your implementation?
    ? hardware
    ? OS

--
Neil R. Smith, neils@xxxxxxxx <mailto:neils@xxxxxxxx>