RE: Grid projection scheme problem

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Latimer, S wrote:

> Robb,
>
>      Thanks for your help....
>      There exists a few problems with attempting to extract data by putting
> the cursor over a point: 1) we are not sure what the lat/lon is at that
> point, 2) since I need the u,v components at 17 discrete points and 4
> levels--this operation would result in a prodigious amount of time
> consumption, and 3) the projection scheme used in the model as projected on
> the IDV screen does not have equally spaced grid points which raises
> questions about whether the lat/lon we type in is the actual lat/lon location
> on the map (this issue confuses me the most).
>       I looked at the GIS software link you gave me.  Do you know if the type
> of files I have would enable me to extract the u,v component given the
> lat/lon?  It did not look like the type of files I have would be compatible
> for importing...
>       I know this is a difficult problem that is probably not easily solved
> and I thank you for all of your help.  Any  suggestions or referrals to
> others about this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again,

Stephen,

at this point i'm out of suggestions but i do know the myWorld program
does handle netCDF files. but will the program allow you to extract the
data that you are requesting, don't know.  you could write a support
question to them with your request.

robb...

> Stephen Latimer
> Meteorology Graduate Student