[decoders] First post - GRIB2 decoders

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi all,

A few moments I subscribed to the decoders mailing list. Great facility.

I am looking for some assistence.. Let me start off by explaining I am a fair
newby when it comes to programming java, although I do have experience in IDL,
PHP programming.

I am trying to implement a decoder to decode EUMETSET multi sensor
precipitation estimate data
(http://www.eumetsat.int/home/Main/Access_to_Data/Meteosat_Meteorological_Products/Product_List/SP_1119538666663?l=en
 on this page also a link to datafile downloads)

I have downloaded the GRIBjava decoder. I am now trying to build a decoder so that I can retrieve the MPE data.
Unfortunately when I get to the point of accessing the file and trying to get
the individual grid definitions I get an error.

The error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
       at
ucar.grib.grib2.Grib2GridDefinitionSection.<init>(Grib2GridDefinitionSection.java:300)
       at exportgrb.Main.main(Main.java:71)

// Some code#

    // Paths and stuff
    String InFile          = "c:\\java\\data\\MPE_20080217_0900_M9_00.grb";
    Boolean CheckTheSum = true;

   // Create a unidata specified RandomAccesFile for reading
   ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile InRA = new ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile(InFile,
"r");

   // Grid definition section
   Grib2GridDefinitionSection GDSd = new Grib2GridDefinitionSection(InRA,
CheckTheSum);
     String GGdef = GDSd.getGridName(0);
System.out.println(GGdef);
// -- end some code

I hope that someone can help me and explain how to fix this. Or even better: Is
there someone who has already created a decoder specifically for the
multisensor precipitation estimates?

Thanks so much,

Kind Regards,

Jelle Ferwerda

Jelle Ferwerda
Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Animal Behavior Research Group
Department of Zoology / University of Oxford
South Parks Road / Oxford / OX13PS
United Kingdom

email:          Jelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office Phone:   +44 18652 71214