Re: [gembud] projection dilemma

Hi Jeff,

What's wrong with the LCC image? :) Are you looking to use it in a GIS? For example, this mapserver layer config will show LCC (awips211) images just fine:

LAYER
  NAME "east_vis_1km"
  STATUS ON
  DATA "/home/ldm/data/gis/images/awips211/GOES13_EAST_VIS.png"
  TYPE RASTER
  PROJECTION
    "proj=lcc"
   "lat_0=25"
    "lat_1=25"
    "lat_2=25"
   "lon_0=-95"
   "a=6371200.0"
   "b=6371200.0"
  END
END

Perhaps you could use gdalwrap (a part of the gdal rpm package) to transform your LCC image into 'unprojected'. I use it all the time to transform these types of images into spherical mercator or 'unprojected'. The command is something like

gdalwarp -t_srs 'EPSG:4326' -s_srs 'proj=lcc lat_0=25 lat_1=25 lat_2=25 lon_0=-95 a=6371200.0 b=6371200.0' input_lcc.jpg output_unproj.jpg

I have examples of these LCC files ready for GIS here:

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/data/gis/images/awips211/

daryl