[gembud] GEMPAK 7.3.1 dcgrib2 NAM files GDATTIM=F000 does not work

  • To: gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gembud] GEMPAK 7.3.1 dcgrib2 NAM files GDATTIM=F000 does not work
  • From: daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 22:38:21 -0500 (CDT)
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
Howdy GEMBUD,

I quasi have a feeling that this topic was discussed on other lists, but I am having an issue with the current github master build of GEMPAK 7.3.1. The GEMPAK model files generated by dcgrib2 seem to write the model init time without a F000. For example:

 GEMPAK-GDINFO>list
 GDFILE   = 2017060100_nam212.gem
 LSTALL   = YES
 OUTPUT   = T
 GDATTIM  = F000
 GLEVEL   = 500
 GVCORD   = PRES
 GFUNC    = HGHT
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>run
...snipped...
 [GDU 2]  Did not find any matching grids.

 GEMPAK-GDINFO>GDATTIM=F003
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>run
...snipped...
  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  309     170601/0000F003                        500         PRES HGHT
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>GDATTIM=170601/0000
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>run
...snipped....
  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  126     170601/0000                            500         PRES HGHT

So you see the F000 timestamp is there, just not denoted with a F000.

The GFS model does not seem to suffer this fate

 GEMPAK-GDINFO>list
 GDFILE   = 2017053118_gfs215.gem
 LSTALL   = YES
 OUTPUT   = T
 GDATTIM  = F000
 GLEVEL   = 500
 GVCORD   = PRES
 GFUNC    = HGHT
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>run
...snipped...
  NUM       TIME1              TIME2           LEVL1 LEVL2  VCORD PARM
  135     170531/1800F000                        500         PRES HGHT

This issue appeared to start with the NAM upgrades in March.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin16-41nam_updatesaab.htm

I wonder if GEMPAK's grib libraries need an update? Shrug. So I throw my question at the mercy of the benevolent GEMPAK experts of this list!

thanks!
daryl

  • Search the gembud archives: