Re: RE: NEXRAD stations

We are now seeing all 154 of the nexrads coming through unencoded on
NOAAPORT. The age of free NEXRAD is here!

I meant to say FGF, not FFG, sorry about that!

 Dr. Jeff Masters (jmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)                           (  )
 Chief Meteorologist                              /\ Home of the       (    )
 The Weather Underground, Inc.               /\  /  \  /\       /\    (      )
 300 N Fifth Ave #240                       /  \/    \/  \ /\  /  \    ------
 Ann Arbor, MI 48104                 ______/              /  \/    \_   \\\\\
 734-994-8824 (voice)                           Weather Underground      \`\`\
 734-994-8919 (fax)                         http://www.wunderground.com

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Thomas L. Mote wrote:

> FFC is Peachtree City (basically Atlanta). I also
> don't see an FFG. We've been receiving data, but how will I
> know which is unencoded? I tried loading some of the more
> recent images in GEMPAK 5.6a but no dice.
>
> Thomas L. Mote
> University of Georgia
>

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:03:32 -0500 Dan Vietor
> <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I am cheerfully watching the NEXRAD data flow in here, it is
> > > great to see!
> > >
> > > However, I am seeing some products from stations that are not
> > > in my WXP
> > > rad.cty list of stations:
> > >
> > > FFG
> > > GID
> > > LMK
> > > TOP
> > > UNR
> > >
> > > TOP is easy to guess, it is TWX (Topeka). Can anyone shed light on the
> > > rest of these?
> >
> > WXP uses the official NWS identifiers for the Nexrad sites and not the
> > identifier for the WFO.  This is for consistency with RCM, MDR and other
> > radar products.
> >
> > BTW, I don't find any sites with FFG.  There is Atlanta which is FFC.
> >
> > I file Nexrad sites by the ID listed in the AWIPS header and not the WMO
> > header:
> >
> > ** SDUS51 KPHI 091837 ***
> > N0RDIX
> >
> > I file on the DIX, not the PHI.  Here is my pqact.conf line:
> >
> > #
> > # Radar - NIDS
> > WMO     ^SDUS5. .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9]).*/p(...)(...)
> >         PIPE    -close /home/ldm/bin/ucnids -c -
> > /home/ldm/data/nids/\5/(\1:yy)(
> > \1:mm)\1\2\3_\4.nid
> >
> > > Also, in clear air mode, how can you have a negative
> > > reflectivity? Is a negative return ever really due to
> > > precipitation?
> >
> > Its possible for snow but not rain.  Some types of snow have a very
> > small cross-section exposed to the radar beam.  This means it will
> > rarely have Dbz returns in the positive area.  The problem is that there
> > are a lot of other things that return Dbz values of 5 or less, like
> > birds, insects, clouds, ground clutter.  So you have to know what your
> > looking for.
> > Daniel Vietor               Mail: devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
> > 221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
> > Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215

> Thomas L. Mote                               tmote@xxxxxxx
> Associate Professor of Geography         ph:  706-542-2906
> University of Georgia                    lab: 706-542-6060
> Athens, GA 30602-2502 USA                fax: 706-542-2388

  • Search the ldm-users archives: