Re: No can do on the new Redhat Kernel...

Hi Gerry,

> There are a number of changes in the 2.4.x kernels that are generally
> worth the changes... the 2.4.11 kernel being a NOTABLE exception.  You
> might think of this as, in general, consistent with the changes from
> SunOS to Solaris... which was less than stellar, to, let's see...
> Solaris 2.3 which finally started getting it right.

Well, I now plan to go to 2.7 with Redhat 7.2. We'll see what happens
there. Have you tried it yet?

> I've not had much problem with the kernels, save some issues that did
> creep in.  I suspect that, unless you're having real problems, finding a
> kernel that works, and leaving it there until you have need for an
> upgrade (ie., until something you need DOESN'T work with that kernel) is
> still a better tack with production systems.

And that's what I am doing, but 2.7 sounds like a major change...

> <SOAPBOX>

(Great points deleted)

> One other caveat:  RedHat-distributed kernels are general solutions.  I
> strongly recommend that, if you're gonna play Linux, learn how to, at
> least, recompile and install a kernel (My daddy always taught me to
> never volunteer for nothin', but here goes...) and I can offer some
> support for folks who need it via e-mail, and on a limited basis, plus
> or minus other duties and occasional disasters here.

Yeah, I got a scolding from someone else about this. I may take you up on
that offer! :-)

> And while we're caveating, the default RedHat 7.[1|2] firewall installs
> are likely to screw up LDM, and now that I think about it, may be
> contributing to the load.  If you need firewalling, this is a case where
> a seperate box may well be called for, with the firewall rules disabled
> on the LDM box.

I found that out on day one, and had it all fixed on day 2. Xinetd is
really picky!!!

> SUMMARY:  Don't change kernels just because a new one came out.  Leave
> that to someone like me who should really know better (and *I* don't do
> it on my home or production machines unless there is a compelling
> reason).  Disable the default firewall rules on install, or later, if
> you didn't do that on install, as they're gonna mess with your mind (I
> worked in 6.2 and died on 7.[1|2]... what did they change).

Oh yeah, that was fun! NOT!!!

>  If you're
> gonna change kernels, get the source and recompile to make it consistent
> with what you need, rather than keeping an unnecessarily bloated kernel
> around.
>
> </SOAPBOX>
>
> gerry

My next project. :-) Take care and thanks for all the advice!!!

Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: