Re: new NOAAPORT NIDS products

Dr. Koermer,

Interesting approach; it would be a good mental game to see how much the SBN
time differs from the internet provided atomic clock NTP.

Certainly, NOAAPort receive paradigms differ from vendor to vendor -
especially when it comes to injecting data from the SBN into an LDM.  One
reason that our time stamps on some of the first NEXRAD products for a volume
scan are the same as the header - i.e. a 1730Z product being completely
written by 1730Z on the system - is that our LDM injection facility streams
the data directly to the queue, as opposed to buffering and pqing'ing.  I
can't say that one method is better than the other . . . just different.  It
does help explain differences in latency, though, when troubleshooting larger
issues external to the NOAAPort receiver - such as NCF uplink issues,
internet drops on IDD, etc.

We've sufficiently beat that dead horse.

Stonie

--
Stonie R. Cooper,
Science Officer