Re: [ldm-users] behavior ldm-6.8.0

Hi Steve,

I reduced the timeout from 20(default) to 8, and that reduced the start-up of ldm to half a minute(much better than my first try). As for needing to <Ctrl> C twice, I can live with that. I don't think it's because the server is too busy. I reverted back to the version 6.7.1 when I initially thought something was wrong, and that quirk didn't occur with 6.7.1.

Anyway, thanks.

James

James Murakami
Staff Meteorologist/Student Affairs
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles
405 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles, CA  90095-1565

  e-mail: tenki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
telephone: 310-825-2418
     Fax: 310-206-5219

Steve Emmerson wrote:
James Murakami wrote:
I just installed the latest version of the ldm, and it seems to be
running fine so far.
However, when I invoke it to start, it takes a lot longer to initiate
than previous
versions had done(over a minute).

If the hang-up is due to ntpdate(1) timeout-out trying to connect to
time servers, then you should consider setting the variable
$ntpdate_timeout to a smaller value in the ldmadmin(1)
configuration-file (etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf).

You should be able to verify if ntpdate(1) timeouts are the problem by
repeatedly executing the command "ldmadmin checktime".  The order in
which the time-servers are accessed is random, so you'll have to execute
the command many times to get a feel for it.

Also, I have to type "<Ctrl> C"  twice
if I want
to end the "ldmadmin watch" command(similarly for the "tail" option).
Before one
<Ctrl> C was enough.

I've seen that only when the CPU is very, very busy.  The new features
in the LDM should not be the cause.

Regards
Steve Emmerson

  • Search the ldm-users archives: