[ldm-users] Environment of processes kicked off by EXEC

Good Afternoon

We're working to upgrade the version of LDM with AWIPS II to 6.11.x and
have run into a slight problem.  When executing edexBridge from the EXEC
line, it was failing with "child exited with status 127"

What I found is when I just switched users to ldm and ran edexBridge, it
was failing to find a necessary library in /usr/local/ldm/lib

No problem, I went ahead and added the following to my ~ldm/.bash_profile

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ldm/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

exited my shell, went back in as user ldm and was able to start edexBridge
manually this time.  However, the ldmadmin start still was failing.

As a work around, I added a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ which had the
following line:

/usr/local/ldm/lib

I then ran ldconfig.  I exited my shell, and then ssh back into the box.
 My ldmadmin start command then would work and start everything
successfully!

This was great, except for an unfortunate side-effect.  The libxml.so.2 in
the directory /usr/local/ldm/lib conflicts with the one in /usr/lib and it
will render the "yum" utility useless.

So, back to the drawing board we noticed that ~ldm/bin/ldmd had the sticky
bit set, which is set by make root-actions.  There is a security feature of
linux where it will not inherit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH if this is set.   We
are able to run the executable just fine when I remove the sticky bit
(chmod 755 ~ldm/bin/ldmd)

Will this cause any significant issues with the functionality of LDM?  Why
does ldmd need the sticky bit?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

--