Re: [ldm-users] Reading GOES-16 data?

  • To: "Herbster, Christopher G." <herbstec@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] Reading GOES-16 data?
  • From: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:46:53 -0600
Hi,

We currently have re-assembled the tiles on our test server:

http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/catalog.html

I wrote a Python script to do the assembly and stripping of header AND
footer directly piped from the LDM. That code is freely available here:

https://github.com/Unidata/ldm-alchemy (look at goes-restitch.py) This runs
only on Python 3.6.

The pqact being used for the data (which runs one instance of the script
for all 16 channels of a particular sector/time) is here:

https://github.com/Unidata/TdsConfig/blob/master/threddsDev/pqacts/pqact.satellite

I don't have any cycles to really support that script, but I haven't
noticed any problems with it on our server.

For the "true color" RGB imagery, you can see a sample of the simple
approach here:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/Unidata/unidata-python-workshop/blob/master/notebooks/GOES_RGB_Demo/GOES_RGB_Image.ipynb

With the veggie channel, things are too green on land, but otherwise not
too bad. I just wish they would fix the problem where the channel maxing
out ends up set to 0 instead of 255.

Ryan

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Herbster, Christopher G. <herbstec@xxxxxxxx