Re: [ldm-users] LDM/IDD feed of Level II Radar

  • To: Grant Wise <grwise1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] LDM/IDD feed of Level II Radar
  • From: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 19:15:24 -0600
Hi Grant,

On the AWS listing for NEXRAD data:

  https://registry.opendata.aws/noaa-nexrad/

You can see the listing for the `arn:aws:s3:::unidata-nexrad-level2-chunks`
S3 bucket. This bucket contains a freely available, real-time feed of the
individual chunks of Level 2 NEXRAD data (that once assembled form a full
volume). This is the lowest possible latency you have to the data, unless
you're upstream of us. On that page you'll also see a listing for an SNS
topic that will notify you when new chunks are available.

Both real-time chunks and full NEXRAD level 2 volumes are available on AWS
without a paywall--I'm not sure why you'd characterize it as "hard to
access outside of private vendors/paywalls".

Ryan