Re: getting cvs HDF5 to install on a sun

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> James Laird <jlaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > The libtool script used in the build process should be generated by
> > configure.  That's why it looks for libtool in . and not in your path.
> >
> > I think the problem here is buried in the middle of the configure output:
> > it complains that AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN and AM_PROG_LIBTOOL are not found.
> > These are macros that it needs to create libtool, and both of them should
> > live in aclocal.m4.  Is there a chance that aclocal.m4 was deleted or
> > corrupted?
> >
> > James
> >

> I did a new cvs checkout of hdf5 today. When I do an autoreconf, it
> fails:

You're getting errors because HDF5 doesn't follow the GNU documentation
standard; that's why NEWS, README, etc. aren't present; we need to use
automake with the --foreign option to avoid those errors.  You may also be
using different versions of the autotools than HDF5 does.  Our
reconfiguration script is located at hdf5/bin/reconfigure.

You shouldn't need to reconfigure in the first place, though.  HDF5
includes aclocal.m4 in its distribution.  If you just check out a fresh
version of HDF5, you should get a fresh version of aclocal.m4.  If
configure can't find that copy, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

James

> [...]
> libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> libtoolize: `ltmain.sh' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/vorbis.m4:9: warning: underquoted definition of
> XIPH_PATH_VORBIS
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/ogg.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
> XIPH_PATH_OGG
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GTK
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GLIB
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/audiofile.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE
> /opt/csw/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_AALIB
> Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
> Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `fortranlib_test.$(OBJEXT)' created both
> with libtool and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5F.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5D.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5R.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5S.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5T.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5VL.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5Z.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5Sselect.$(OBJEXT)' created both with
> libtool and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5P.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5A.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5I.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5G.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tH5E.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool
> and without
> fortran/test/Makefile.am: object `tf.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool and
> without
> autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

  • Search the netcdf-hdf archives: