Re: netCDF, Unit Conversion, and Java

Eric Scharff wrote:

> I was wondering if you had any pointers to Java support for NetCDF and for
> doing conversion between various kinds of units.  For Natalya and Glenn's
> class project, they may need to deal with netCDF data (from DODS) and will
> almost certainly need to convert from units that our simulation tool uses
> to whatever units are stored in the files.
>
> If you have any links to source code / documentation for Java libraries,
> that'd be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Eric

Hi Eric, Natalya, Glenn:

1) The standard netcdf java package is at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/java/index.html

2) A new, hopefully simpler API is at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/ma2/ma2.htm

this one is pretty new, so may have more bugs. I would reccomend using
it anyway unless you already are familiar with the older API, or like it
better for some reason. However, I wrote the new one, so consider my
bias.

3) udunits package for unit conversion is at:

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/put/netcdf/units_src.jar

4) we are planning on working on netcdf-through-DODS soon (this month),
but cant promise we'll have anything in time for your semester
deadlines.  However, keep me posted on what you need/have done and i'll
do the same. If you dont need anything before november, its possible i
could help.