Re: 20040414: Attribute modification in Java2.1 NetCDF API

  • To: Steve Loch <sgl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 20040414: Attribute modification in Java2.1 NetCDF API
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:40:58 -0600
Unidata Support wrote:

------- Forwarded Message

To: <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Steve Loch" <sgl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Attribute modification in Java2.1 NetCDF API

Is there any prospect of a later release permitting the update of the
attributes within a NetCDF file without having to regenerate the
complete file?

The APIs I have used to date including Fortran, C and Matlab don't have
this restriction.

Steve Loch
British Oceanographic Dta Centre

we will support attribute modification in the next version of netcdf-java (2.2), which may be ready by end of year (?)

as to whether that can be done without rewriting the file depends on the file; we are constrained by the version 1 file format. what would you need in that regard?

netcdf-4 (on top of HDF5) should be able to modify attributes without rewriting entire file.