Re: Grib Coordinate System Conversion

Gereg,

I hate to sound like a broken record, but one approach would be to use the fabulous GDAL package

  http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

which makes converting a GeoTIFF from one projection to Lambert as easy as:

gdalwarp -t_srs "+proj=lcc +lat_1=XX +lat_2=XX" proj_x.tif lambert.tif

If the GeoTIFF you want to convert doesn't have the proper projection info, you can specify that as well:

gdalwarp -s_srs "EPSG:4326" -t_srs "+proj=lcc +lat_1=XX +lat_2=XX" proj_x.tif lambert.tif

Here we are mixing EPSG specification with PROJ4 WKT. Other flavors of WKT work as well.

The easiest way (and what I do) to get GDAL built with all the goodies is download "FWTOOLS" from

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

which is a complete binary distribution for both Linux and PC containing GDAL as well as Python, OpenEv, Mapserver.

-Rich

Cordes Gregory M Contr AFWA/XPSI wrote:
We are using NetCDF 2.2.15, to exact information from a grib file and generate a geotiff, and it works great. However, our gridded comes in, in various projections (i.e. Stereographic, Lat/Lon, Lambert, Mercator, etc.). Is there a simple way to convert a particular projection, say Stereographic, to Lambert? It appears that we will have to take the grib file, extract the parameter of information, and write a new cdf file, and use the new cdf file to generate the geotiff, correct?

Thanks,

Greg

--
Richard P. Signell
U.S. Geological Survey       Phone: (508) 457-2229