[netcdf-java] LatLonRect::extend and bounding rectangles

I have encountered a condition where LatLonRect::extend fails.

Consider a LatLonRect that is an almost complete latitude band -- LL:
81s 180w UR: 60s 135e
Now extend by LatLonRect LL: 81s 135e UR: 60s 180e
I think I should get LL: 81s 180w UR: 60s 180e -- a complete latitude
band
What I get is LL: 81s 180e UR: 60s 135e - the latitude band less the
added LatLonRect

Any clues out these for this clueless one ?