Re: [netcdf-java] Creating unlimited dimension

Hi Chris,

I believe you need to do something like:

Dimension timedim = ncout.addUnlimitedDimension("time");

See the last example at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/tutorial/ NetcdfWriteable.html

Hope that helps,
Jeff

On May 6, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Christopher.Moore@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm trying upgrade to netcdf 2.2.22... I used to create a netcdf file with
unlimited time dimension using:

         Dimension timedim = ncout.addDimension("TIME",-1);

but now I try,

         Dimension londim = ncout.addDimension("LON", isize);
         Dimension latdim = ncout.addDimension("LAT", jsize);
Dimension timedim = ncout.addDimension("TIME", 0, true, true, true);
         Dimension[] dim3 = new Dimension[] {timedim,latdim,londim};
         ncout.addVariable(varName[varNum], float.class, dim3);

and I get:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown dimension can only be used in 1 dim
array
         at ucar.nc2.Variable.setDimensions(Variable.java:1137)
         at
ucar.nc2.NetcdfFileWriteable.addVariable(NetcdfFileWriteable.java:335)
         at
ucar.nc2.NetcdfFileWriteable.addVariable(NetcdfFileWriteable.java:279)
         at
gov.noaa.tsunami.cmi.LinCombModule.downloadFile(LinCombModule.java: 325)

Any ideas?  I can't find a simple example for creating with unlimited
dimension...

Cheers,
Chris