[netcdf-java] Roadmap or intent for netcdf-java to write netCDF4

Hi,

I have been testing netcdf-java 4.0 alpha to read spatio-temporal 'legacy' data
and write it to netcdf3. After a bit of trial and error starting from the
tutorial it worked great and I liked the 'feel' of the API, hence an interest
for longer term use in other projects.

Is there an update on the possibility of having the same features as the C API
notably writing to netCDF4? Without elaborating I think I'll need it for some
purposes. I can fathom the difficulty involved, as conveyed in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdf-java/2006-September/000212.html.

I'd appreciate if someone at Unidata could give me their best guess on that
feature, if possible. No strings attached with the answer, of course.

Cheers
Jean-Michel Perraud
CSIRO Land and Water