Re: [netcdf-java] Attribute value problem?

Thanks John,

The server is a Dapper server. Hopefully, Joe is looking in on the discussion and can tell us where we went wrong in the set up. :-)

Roland

John Caron wrote:
hi roland:
it looks like a bug in the DAS:

    NC_GLOBAL {
        String sensor heights (agl) "Winds               3.4 m

I think
  sensor heights (agl)

should be a single token or something.
What is the server? It doesnt look like a TDS. Is it hyrax ?

The underlying file might be a new version of netcdf that allows blanks in the
attribute names, and the server doesnt yet know how to deal.

Roland Schweitzer wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for the cross post.  :-)

I've attempted to read the following data source:
http://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu:8080/dods/aggregations/communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/mcs-climate-data/ebbr/wh/1999.nc

with the Java netCDF library:

IO error = java.io.FileNotFoundException: Cant open dods://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu:8080/dods/aggregations/communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/mcs-climate-data/ebbr/wh/1999.nc or as DODS dods://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu:8080/dods/aggregations/communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/mcs-climate-data/ebbr/wh/1999.nc
Error: Expected an attribute type. Such as Byte, Int32, String, et c.
followed by a name and value.

The offending line contained the token: 'sensor'
ParseException Message: 'Encountered "(agl)" at line 602, column 31.
Was expecting one of:
    "," ...
    ";" ...
    '

And with Ferret linked with the C++ client library:

yes? use "http://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu:8080/dods/aggregations/communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/mcs-climate-data/ebbr/wh/1999.nc";
 **Internet Data error
OPeNDAP Error: Error parsing the text on line 602 at or near: (agl)
Expected an attribute type (Byte, Int16, UInt16, Int32, UInt32, Float32,
Float64, String or Url) followed by a name and value.
 (OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code 1001)
Data set: http://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu:8080/dods/aggregations/communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/mcs-climate-data/ebbr/wh/1999.nc

I don't understand what is going wrong here. I am not the originator of these data, but perhaps I can work with them to resolve the problem once I know what's wrong.

Roland