[netcdf-java] Setting a proxy to access remote datasets in netcdf-java

Hi All,

I'd like to configure netcdf-java to use a proxy for fetching data from
remote opendap datasets. I saw this thread at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg03242.htmlwhich
basically says to set the system properties like so:

System.setProperty("http.proxyHost", "myproxyhost.com");
System.setProperty("http.proxyPort", "8080");

But this dosn't jibe with the docs for Apace commons-httpclient, which I *
think* opendap-java is using under the hood, which says to do the following:

// Read/get proxyhost, port from wherever. If you want to use the
// System properties then you have to read them, they are NOT the
// defaults for the client.
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
client.getHostConfiguration().setProxy(proxyHost, port);

Can someone shine a light on this... Is there a supported way to configure
proxies for opendap datasets when using netcdf-java? If there's no supported
mechanism, does anyone know of a workaround? Has anyone tried to use proxies
and had any luck?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. See http://code.google.com/p/nctoolbox/issues/detail?id=4 for more
details