Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Hi John,

Some questions about maven to you experts. (Im also cc'ing Orion in case
> this helps his "Fedora packaging problem"):
>
> 1) Is there a canonical repository, i.e. "Maven Central" ? Martin already
> has it at geotoolkit.org, is that good enough?

The geotoolkit.org site is a good start. Ideally though, you'd like to get
the NetCDF stuff uploaded to Maven Central. Details on this can be found at
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/04/uploading-artifacts-to-the-central-maven-repository-diy/#more-5137.
Alternatively, you can setup your own repo, for example we've setup one at
googlecode (http://code.google.com/p/mbari-maven-repository/)

Also, Sonatype has a pretty vast array of repos mounted on a Nexus repo
manager at http://oss.sonatype.org. It's pretty handy for searching for a
dependency. Unfortunately, geotoolkit.org isn't mounted yet so the current
netcdf jars don't show up in searches. Someone might want to drop sonatype a
note to add geotoolkit.org

> 2) We dont plan (yet anyway) to switch to using maven to build netcdf-java.
> We are willing to upload jar files, and maintain pom files (with your help),
> and anything thats reasonable that doesnt take much time. What is the best
> way to do that?

Maven's ant-task would do everything you need (
http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/index.html). Probably the easiest way to
go about it is to create a simple pom.xml file for the NetCDF project that
defines the dependencies. You could probably just crib the one at
geeotoolkit ...
http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/netcdf/4.1/netcdf-4.1.pom.  Then you
can reference the pom in your ant build to do the artifact installation and
deployment, which seems to be what you're really going for at the moment (
http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/examples/install-deploy.html). The
pain-in-the-rear part is that all the dependencies that NetCDF uses will
also need to be deployed as Maven artifacts too.

Cheers
--
Brian Schlining