[netcdf-java] Creating a NetcdfFileWritable in memory

I'm attempting to read and write NetCDF data from HDFS, which only
supports streaming access. I'm able to read NetCDF files from HDFS via
the NetCDF-Java apis by simply reading all the bytes in the file into
a memory buffer and then using the NetcdfFile.openInMemory() method.
I'm now looking to do something similar for creating NetCDF files. I
would like to create an "in memory" NetCDF file in define mode, write
data to it and then just pass that byte-array off to some other code
to flush it out to HDFS.
After looking through the support archives and the internet in
general, I can't see any manner by which to do this. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Best Regards,
-Joe Buck