[netcdf-java] fastest way to determine feature type

Hi-

I have a bunch of netCDF files and I want to quickly determine whether they are grids, trajectories, or point features. For grids, I've been using GridDataset gds = GridDataset.open(path) and catch the exception if it's not a grid, but for a 3.3 GB file, that can take 2 minutes (or longer) to open and create the dataset if it is a grid. I was wondering if there's a quicker method of determining the feature type of a netCDF file.

Thanks for your help.

Don
--
Don Murray