Re: netCDF oceanographic conventions

HANKIN@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>If we want to adopt conventions for these issues now is the
>time to do it.  NetCDF can fail to be a "standard" in any meaningful way if
>these issues are not addressed somewhat formally by "users" (us) acting as a
>community.
>
>I spoke to Russ Rew and he agreed that a "straw man" proposal on these
>conventions for oceanographers was in order.  I will try to pull one together
>in the next few days - using "conventions.info" as a starting point but
>going into much greater detail.  My main goal will be to enumerate the open
>issues.  The list I generate will be VERY incomplete - I hope we can pass it
>around and add to it.  When we have a moderately exhaustive list then we
>can begin discussing solutions that encompass our issues.

Steve, I think this is a great idea.  It's probably what we should have
done when we were working on OarS conventions.  Although there have
been several disparate attempts by groups to form conventions, I don't
think any of those groups would say that it's too late to cooperate!

--
Rich Signell               |  rsignell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
U.S. Geological Survey     |  (508) 457-2229  |  FAX (508) 457-2310

--
Rich Signell               |  rsignell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
U.S. Geological Survey     |  (508) 457-2229  |  FAX (508) 457-2310
Quissett Campus            |  "George promised to be good...
Woods Hole, MA  02543      |  ... but it is easy for little monkeys to forget."

  • Search the netcdfgroup archives: