netCDF coordinate system question

  Hi everyone,

  I'm trying to define a coordinate system in a netCDF data file
which includes a stretched vertical grid **with terrain**.  This
means that the vertical coordinate is not uniform over the entire
domain *or* in a 2-D x-y plane.  In other words, a point at
3,5,18 will have a physical height of 4.0, but a point at
6,12,18 will have a physical height of 12.0.  If I can use the
physical height to define the 3-D coordinate system, that would
be great, but I have yet to find a way to define this coordinate
system in netCDF.  Does anyone have experience in defining a
stretched vertical grid w/terrain in a netCDF file?  If you do,
please let me know!  Thanks very much for your help!!

  Jason Levit

Jason John Levit, N9MLA                    Undergraduate Research,
University of Oklahoma          Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
School of Meteorology                  jlevit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PH:405/325-5366                      www: http://tornado.gcn.uoknor.edu/

  • Search the netcdfgroup archives: