Re: NetCDF Java interface?

I've implemented a Java netCDF interface based on the alpha release of Sun's
Remote Management Interface. I have a demo Web page that serves up a couple of
different climate data sets that I converted to netCDF -- it's at:

        http://cosmo.atmos.washington.edu/

The netCDF server code uses the RandomAccessFile class to directly access the
netCDF data, so it's efficient for small datasets.

If enough people are interested, I can make the code available. There are some
problems, though, with the current implementation:

1) All of the RMI classes have to be downloaded before you can run the applet
-- this can take up to five minutes. RMI will apparently be part of the next
major Java release, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. It also isn't
a problem on Intranets.

2) The RMI has changed from the early alpha release that I developed, and I
haven't updated my class library yet.

3) The RMI serialization code is inefficient, so a lot of server resources are
consumed when sending large datasets.

3) My code isn't well documented or tested. Caveat emptor.

Joe Sirott              sirott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Search the netcdfgroup archives: