Re: md5 checksum or gpg signature

Incorporating crc or checksum would be a pretty straightforward inclusion. Might prove useful.

gerry

Reimar Bauer wrote:
Dear all

One of my colleagues gots the idea to have included into each netCDF file a checksum or a signature to indicate if the file gots changed by some kind of damaging (a virus or some hardware failures).

The reason why we need such a information is the files gots larger and larger and you can't guarantee if a file which comes from a backup or from a file copy is the original one.

We have had a very interesting hardware failure on a harddisk on one of our systems which inhibits the copying of a netCDF file in that way that's only one parameter of a file was not readable. It takes a long time to understand why this file on an other machine was readed right. If there will be automaticly included a kind of self diagnostic it is much easier to find out why some data does not look as supposed. And you know immediatly that there is something wrong!

I think if there are ideas how to implent this feature it should be done. It is very important for all of us!

cheers
Reimar

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578

  • Search the netcdfgroup archives: