Re: [netcdfgroup] 64-bit build with Snow Leopard?

You don't show which gfortran you have installed, but have a look at:

http://www.macresearch.org/gfortran-64-bit-osx-106

-Roy M.

On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Ian Harris wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone successfully built NetCDF 4 as 64-bit, on a Mac Pro with Snow
> Leopard and the 64-bit kernel enabled?
>
> I'm hitting problems with the F77 interface, i think. I've set all compiler
> flags I can find to '-m64' (just using GNU/free compilers, no Absoft etc).
>
> Configure line:
>
> ianharris% arch -arch x86_64 ./configure --with-hdf5=/usr/local
> --with-zlib=/usr/local --with-szlib=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local
> --disable-f90 --enable-netcdf-4 --enable-64bit
>
> (I have tried it with and without the 'arch' prefix, it doesn't seem to help)
>
> If I specify G77 as the compiler, it doesn't seem to like the -m64 option:
>
> :
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... configure: error: Could
> not compile conftest.f
> :
>
> If, on the other hand, I specify gfortran, it compiles the tests but then
> fails thusly:
>
> :
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
> link conftestf.o and conftest.o
> :
>
> I modded configure so it didn't delete those two files.. this is the real
> problem I think:
>
> :
> ianharris% file conftestf.o conftest.o
> conftestf.o: Mach-O 64-bit object ppc64
> conftest.o:  Mach-O 64-bit object x86_64
> :
>
> In the config.log file, this is the relevant bit (I think):
>
> :
> configure:24126: checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"
> configure:24133: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -c -m64 conftest.f
> configure:24136: $? = 0
> configure:24148: result: sub_
> configure:24170: checking for Fortran "byte"
> configure:24178: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -c -m64 conftest.f
> configure:24181: $? = 0
> configure:24183: result: yes
> configure:24201: checking for Fortran "integer*2"
> configure:24209: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -c -m64 conftest.f
> configure:24212: $? = 0
> configure:24214: result: yes
> configure:24241: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
> configure:24251: cc -c -m64 -m64 conftest.c
> conftest.c: In function 'sub_':
> conftest.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
> 'exit'
> configure:24254: $? = 0
> configure:24257: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -m64 -c conftestf.f
> configure:24260: $? = 0
> configure:24263: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -o conftest -m64  conftestf.o
> conftest.o
> ld: warning: in /usr/lib/crt1.10.5.o, missing required architecture ppc64 in
> file
> ld: warning: in conftest.o, file is not of required architecture
> ld: warning: in /usr/lib/libSystemStubs.a, missing required architecture
> ppc64 in file
> [...]

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst