[noaaport] DVB-S2 findings...a good day (depends on who you are)

As you know, the NWS has had a lot of trouble with lost NOAAport packets.
I spent over 2 hours today turning on a backup NOAAport ingester...a Pentium 4 running Centos 5.4...put into storage, in the event I needed it in an emergency. What I found was that with it's slow processor, a 100 mb network card, that I was losing the same amount of data. Upgrading it to CentOS 5.6 didn't solve it. And, I was seeing the same packet loss on
both my old and new machines. So, I concluded my problem was:

The NOAAport ingest software;
Weak reception, in spite of a carrier-to-noise (C/N) of ~13, well above the "magic number" of 9 needed for perfect reception
Terrestrial Interference (TI)

And then, after an inquiry I made on the NOAAport Yahoo! Users Group asking people if they were still having reception problems, Jose Nieves posted that I should look at this...

http://www.opennoaaport.net/dvb-s2/

UNIDATA's been notified. Thank you, Jose, as I couldn't have done that here! That pretty much narrows it down. :-)

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the noaaport archives: