Re: [thredds] Support for GeoTIFF?

Another option is to use GDAL / FWTools to convert from GeoTIFF to
NetCDF or HDF.  Check out 'gdal_translate':
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html

Example output formats:  (from typing just gdal_translate):
  GMT: GMT NetCDF Grid Format
  netCDF: Network Common Data Format
  HDF4Image: HDF4 Dataset

Just a guess, but this might be all that is needed to convert:

gdal_translate -of netCDF test.tif test.nc

Then use NCML to clean up any CF-compliance issues and aggregate the
files.  The NCML stuff could be done dynamically by the TDS or offline
using NCMLReader and FileWriter .

Steve

Don Murray said the following on 3/24/2009 8:35 AM:
> I believe that the GeoTools library can read and write GeoTiffs and
> is based in part on the GDAL library.  You might be able to use that
> as a basis for an IOSP.
>
> Don
>
> John Caron wrote:
>> Hi Pauline:
>>
>> NJ library can write GeoTIFF in a limited number of projections, but
>> theres no support for reading
>> geotiff into the CDM. It could be done if someone wanted to write the
>> IOSP.
>>
>> Its hard to write a general GeoTIFF reader well because of the
>> thousands of projections one would in
>> principle need to support. Also, theres no canonical way to store
>> time and vertical levels, and no
>> one apparently in charge of the standard for many years now. For
>> these reasons we have decided not
>> to invest much time into that format.
>>
>> If I had to do it I would consider a jni interface to GDAL.
>>
>> Pauline Mak wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been asked to check whether TDS supports GeoTiff files from one of
>>> our clients.  They have thousands of these files and would like a nice
>>> way to aggregate them to serve it out.  I tried adding a file to the
>>> TDS
>>> catalog, but it wasn't able to read the file (invalid NetCDF file).
>>> However, in the NetCDF javadoc, there is a geotiff class.  Then looking
>>> at the NetCDF Java 4.0 feature list, it has only listed *generation* of
>>> GeoTiff files.  Is it likely that TDS will support GeoTiff sometime in
>>> the future?  I did also find a few pages with GDAL OPeNDAP Server, but
>>> can't seem to locate a copy of the server that I can install and have a
>>> look at...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> -Pauline.

Steve Ansari