[thredds] tomcat-crash with thredds4: Too many open files

Hi,

we just had a crash of the thredds4.0.25/tomcat server and I was able to analyse a bit the system before the operators restarted it.

Error message was: 'Too many open files' and checking the open files with lsof or /proc/PID/fd showed 1021 open netcdf-files for the tomcat-pid. We haven't made any changes to the thredds4 configuration concerning the file-caches, so they should be between 200-400. We're using WCS, too, so this might add some more files, but still not up to 1021.

We also use some aggregations of netcdf files, so one 'thredds-aggregation' might consist of some hundred netcdf-files. Maybe this is counted as one file in the fileCache?

I currently try to avoid further crashes by increasing the ulimit -n from 1024 to 16384, but I would rather be able to tune the file-cache properly instead of throwing more resources at it.

Best regards,

Heiko

--
Dr. Heiko Klein                              Tel. + 47 22 96 32 58
Development Section / IT Department          Fax. + 47 22 69 63 55

  • Search the thredds archives: