[thredds] question on thredds cache

Hi,

My apologies if the following question have been asked and answered previously.

Our ORNL DAAC TDS (4.2.2, at http://thredds.daac.ornl.gov/thredds) is hosting
some *.nc.gz netcdf files, with sizes in the range of 400-600 Mbytes (without
decompress). We have a subsetting tool hit the server, with this issue: if the
service URLs are not accessed for a while, the first hit to these URL will be
very slow, and it becomes fast again after that, until the next time if server
idles for a while (no user hits it), at which time it becomes very slow again
for the next hit - the slow response sometime made the subsetting tool to throw
a connection time out error.

I assume the server must be doing caching of the compressed files somehow, and
the server does clean up the cache if a compressed file is not accessed in a
while. If yes, is there a way to cache them longer (or perpetually)?

Thanks.
-Jerry

Jerry Yun Pan, Ph.D
ORNL DAAC