Re: [thredds] Relative paths in catalog.xml for TDS 4.5

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Relative paths in catalog.xml for TDS 4.5
  • From: "Walker, Jordan" <jiwalker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 10:10:46 -0600
John,
Attached is our catalog with just one of the datasets as an example.  The
relative path is supposed to point to a folder relative to the catalog.xml
file where we are putting ACDD metadata and absolute paths to the data.
This is working on a TDS 4.3 running on Tomcat 6; I can test it on TDS 4.3
on Tomcat 7 if that would help in removing variables.

Thanks for your help.

--
Jordan Walker
Center for Integrated Data Analytics

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jordan:
>
> Reletive paths are tricky, AFAIU, servlet containers are not required to
> be consistent with what their working directory is, and it may vary across
> OS. So we avoid reletive paths in a servlet environment.
>
> Send me a sample catalog that shows what youre trying to do, and ill see
> if anything occurs to me.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Walker, Jordan <jiwalker@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> I've set up TDS 4.5.3 with tds.content.root.path set to where I have my
>> catalog.xml.  We use relative paths in our catalog to reference dataset
>> level ncml files.  These relative paths are not resolving as it seems to be
>> relative to ${catalina.base} rather than ${tds.content.root.path}/thredds
>>
>> Should relative paths not be used in the catalog? Is there a way to
>> change something so that paths are resolved relative to the catalog?
>>
>> --
>> Jordan Walker
>> Center for Integrated Data Analytics
>> US Geological Survey
>> 8505 Research Way
>> Middleton, WI 53562
>> 608.821.3842
>> http://cida.usgs.gov

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; name="CIDA THREDDS Server.">
        <service name="Services" serviceType="Compound" base="">
                <service name="ncdods" serviceType="OpenDAP"
base="/thredds/dodsC/"/>
                <!--<service name="HTTPServer" serviceType="HTTPServer"
base="/thredds/fileServer/"/>-->
                <service name="wcs" serviceType="WCS" base="/thredds/wcs/"/>
                <!--service name="wms" serviceType="WMS"
base="/thredds/wms/"/-->
                <service name="ncss" serviceType="NetcdfSubset"
base="/thredds/ncss/grid/"/>
                <service name="ncml" serviceType="NCML" base="/thredds/ncml/"/>
                <service name="uddc" serviceType="UDDC" base="/thredds/uddc/"/>
                <service name="iso" serviceType="ISO" base="/thredds/iso/"/>
        </service>
        <service name="wicci_services" serviceType="Compound" base="">
                <service name="ncdods" serviceType="OpenDAP"
base="/thredds/dodsC/"/>
                <service name="HTTPServer" serviceType="HTTPServer"
base="/thredds/fileServer/"/>
        </service>
        <service name="http" serviceType="Compound" base="">
                <service name="HTTPServer" serviceType="HTTPServer"
base="/thredds/fileServer/"/>
        </service>
        <dataset name="CIDA THREDDS Holdings" ID="CTH">
                <documentation type="Summary">Datasets held by the Center for
Integrated Data Analytics for access via TDS.</documentation>
                <publisher>
                        <name>CIDA</name>
                        <contact url="http://cida.usgs.gov";
email="dblodgett@xxxxxxxx"/>
                </publisher>
                <dataset name="Parameter-elevation Regressions on Independent
Slopes Model Monthly Climate Data for the Continental United States."
ID="cida.usgs.gov/prism" serviceName="Services" urlPath="prism">
                        <dataType>Grid</dataType>
                        <dataFormat>NcML</dataFormat>
                        <documentation
xlink:href="http://prism.oregonstate.edu/"; xlink:title="PRISM Home"/>
                        <documentation
xlink:href="ftp://prism.oregonstate.edu/pub/prism/us/grids/";
xlink:title="Originating Data Repository"/>
                        <documentation type="Rights">Freely Available: The
PRISM Climate Group, Oregon State University retains rights to ownership of the
data and information.</documentation>
                        <documentation type="Summary">This dataset was created
using the PRISM (Parameter-elevation Regressions on Independent Slopes Model)
climate mapping system, developed by Dr. Christopher Daly, PRISM Climate Group
director. PRISM is a unique knowledge-based system that uses point measurements
of precipitation, temperature, and other climatic factors to produce
continuous, digital grid estimates of monthly, yearly, and event-based climatic
parameters. Continuously updated, this unique analytical tool incorporates
point data, a digital elevation model, and expert knowledge of complex climatic
extremes, including rain shadows, coastal effects, and temperature inversions.
PRISM data sets are recognized world-wide as the highest-quality spatial
climate data sets currently available. PRISM is the USDA's official
climatological data.</documentation>
                        <documentation type="Reference">PRISM Climate Group,
Oregon State University, http://prism.oregonstate.edu, Accessed Jan
2012.</documentation>
                        <keyword>Surface Winds Atmosphere</keyword>
                        <keyword>Air Temperature Atmosphere</keyword>
                        <keyword>Precipitation</keyword>
                        <keyword>Rain</keyword>
                        <keyword>Downscaled Climate Projection</keyword>
                        <creator>
                                <name>PRISM Climate Group</name>
                                <contact url="http://prism.oregonstate.edu/";
email="gibson@xxxxxxxxx"/>
                        </creator>
                        <publisher>
                                <name>CIDA</name>
                                <contact url="http://cida.usgs.gov";
email="dblodgett@xxxxxxxx"/>
                        </publisher>
                        <geospatialCoverage>
                                <northsouth>
                                        <start>53</start>
                                        <size>-29</size>
                                        <units>degrees_north</units>
                                </northsouth>
                                <eastwest>
                                        <start>-125</start>
                                        <size>58</size>
                                        <units>degrees_east</units>
                                </eastwest>
                        </geospatialCoverage>
                        <timeCoverage>
                                <start>1895-01-01T00:00</start>
                                <end>2011-11-01T00:00</end>
                                <resolution>1 Month</resolution>
                        </timeCoverage>
                        <netcdf
xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
location="metadata/prism/prism_meta.ncml"/>
                </dataset>
        </dataset>
</catalog>
  • Search the thredds archives: