Re: Formats "HDF and Vis5D" in Linux RH 6.0

Hi Marcelo,

>       I am with problems to visualize images with format HDF and
> Vis5D. I work with Linux(RedHat6.0). How should I proceed? Because the
> two formats need libraries you specify.

VisAD accees to HDF is (currently) limited to HDF-EOS, which
requires a very complex set of native libraries.  So that is
probably limited to Sparc Solaris for a while.

However, I am happy to see your courage in taking on the
task of compiling the Vis5D native library on Linux.  First,
make sure you edit visad/data/vis5d/Makefile to add -DLITTLE
to CFLAGS.

> I tried to generate libvis5d.so and I had the folowing problems after
> "make compile".
>
> My directory:
> -------------
>
>  ../visad/visad-2.0/visad/ make
>
> Message
> -------
>
>  cc -z defs -o libvis5d.so v5d_read.o v5d.o binio.o -L/usr/lib -lm -lc
>  /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefind reference to 'main'
>  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>  make:  *** [libvis5d.so] Error

This message is a little puzzling.  First, the SHLDFLAGS
defined in visad/data/vis5d/Makefile includes -G, so we
should see that before -z in your Message.  Second, we
should not see -L/usr/lib in the message.  Have you made
these changes to your visad/data/vis5d/Makefile?

Of course, I must defer to the real Unix experts like
Dave Glowacki.

Cheers,
Bill

  • Search the visad archives: