Map projections

Hi,

I've attempted what I thought was the quick and dirty solution to my
Lambert map projection problem given my limited understanding of
visad.CoordinateSystem. My attempts to use
visad.data.hdfeos.LambertConformalConic in a way similar to
PolarCoordinateSystem in Test11 was not fruitful so I took the following
approach:

construct my terrain field: (lon,lat) -> alt

construct a visad.data.hdfeos.LambertConformalConic

extract the samples of my domain set and run them through
LambertConformalConic.fromReference() thus creating a new domain set of
(x,y).

construct a field on this new set assigning the original alt values.

display mapping x and y to the Axes.

The results are promising - it looks like a Lambert projection, but the
rendering is flakey. I've linked a "before" and "after" image.

ftp://ftp.rap.ucar.edu/incoming/lam1.gif
ftp://ftp.rap.ucar.edu/incoming/lam2.gif

Is there something fundamentally wrong with what I'm trying to do or is
there a bug in the transform or the rendering?

I'll throw together some sample code if it helps.

Thanks,
Doug

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |

  • Search the visad archives: