Re: ProductSet Display support

Hi Don,

I prefer to have my data shaped like (lon,lat,alt)->foo but my domain set can be 100x100x25. I can't use a Linear3DSet because my altitudes are not regularly spaced and a Gridded3DSet requires 250000 values, most of which are redundant. As I understand it, I could define the set as a ProductSet of 3 Gridded1DSets with 225 (100+100+25) values. Just thought I'd try to reduce memory usage a bit. No Biggie.

Thanks,
Doug

Don Murray wrote:
Hi Doug-

Doug Lindholm wrote:

About 2 years ago Don Murray mentioned that:

 > Unfortunately, ProductSet was never completely implemented on the
 > Display side of VisAD, so your mileage may vary on what you get from
 > a display.  This is one of those things that still needs to be
 > finished, but right now, no one on the development team has time
 > to work on it.

Has the state of ProductSet changed since then?

Not really.  However there have been other VisAD improvements
that help, like the CartesianProductCoordinateSystem which
allows you to make a "product" of multiple CoordinateSystems.

Is there a particular need to use ProductSet?  As you know,
there are many ways to skin the same cat in VisAD.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |

  • Search the visad archives: