Introducing CUENCAS

Hello VisAD Community,

I wanted to bring to your attention a tool that I have been developing, for a few years now, as part of my Master and PhD dissertations. Several people have collaborated in the development of this tool and they are listed on a website that I created.

The application is called CUENCAS (stands for basins in Spanish). CUENCAS makes use of the VisAD library, and although it exploits only a small fraction of the features of the library, VisAD has facilitated a great deal the visualizations that have been required for my research (Thanks for developing such a flexible library).

CUENCAS is a river networks analysis tool. It is a simplified version of the original GIS called HidroSig, developed by the School of Geosciences at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia over the last 8 years.

While HidroSig has evolved to be a full featured GIS, CUENCAS has focused on river networks as a numerical simulation and data archiving GIS environment. CUENCAS is ment to be a research tool, rather than a commercial product. The development of CUENCAS since 2001 has been supported by various grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF).

http://cires.colorado.edu/~ricardo/cuencas.htm <http://cires.colorado.edu/%7Ericardo/cuencas.htm>

I think CUENCAS is now mature enough to be shared with the community (Plus I finally got around writing some documentation and the javadoc). CUENCAS main strength is terrain analysis and extraction of attributes from the River Network. It also implements a rainfall runoff model framework (link-hillslope based) flexible enough to incorporate a variety of processes and equations.

I have had the opportunity to share this tool with Don Murray and Jeff Whitaker from Unidata. At the time we thought about integrating CUENCAS' tools into IDV, but since then, I moved from Boulder and this project is part of the TODO list (more like HAS_TO_BE_DONE list).

CUENCAS uses the Java webstart mechanism, so running it is very easy. Just go to

http://cires.colorado.edu/~ricardo/cuencas/cuencas-download.htm <http://cires.colorado.edu/%7Ericardo/cuencas/cuencas-download.htm>

and hit the "RUN CUENCAS" link. Java Webstart should take care of everything. I have successfully tested CUENCAS on several flavors of Linux, Mac OS X (Tiger) and Windowz.

One short term plan is to change the proprietary data format that CUENCAS currently uses by netCDF files. If anyone has the time and interest I would be glad to get some help. There are also a number of half-done tools and I plan to work on them as they become really necessary.

I hope you enjoy it,

   Ricardo

Ricardo Mantilla
Posdoctoral Research Associate

New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
801 Leroy Pl. MSEC 254
Socorro, NM 87801

Phone: (505) 835-5068
Office: MSEC 254