[Datastream #SXB-674928]: GOES East West imagery...

Hi Gilles,

re:
> Hope everything is going great for you and all the team in Boulder,

Yes, thanks.  I hope you are well and happy also!

re:
> To follow up on the CLASS archives for GOES imagery, there are some
> specific dates for which we did not find any imagery data, the list of
> these dates is not yet complete, but hopefully once it is we can search
> through the UNIWISC IDD Datastream if we can get them,

OK.  I would guess, however, that the images are more likely to be in
CLASS than in the Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feedtype UNIWISC) archive.
If this is the case, the UW/SSEC Data Center may have the images you
need.

re:
> For GOES imagery in general, we have a question for you about IDV black
> background for satellite imagery,

OK.

re:
> When we capture an image or movie in kmz format there is this possibility
> to do it without the black back ground and that is a really nice feature to
> look at the data in Google Earth. Especially making some part of the scale
> in IDV transparent allows us to create really nice pic or animation really
> vivid for teaching or conferences on specific weather patterns

I agree that being able to make transparent portions of an image is a
very useful feature in the IDV (the capability comes from the VisAD package).

re:
> (just as an
> example I send you a pic of the Hurricane Patricia that just heading toward
> us right now in kmz, and png)

Very nice!

re:
> So here come the question:
>
> In IDV, it would be great to be able to change the black background of the
> satellite imagery transparent and see it as transparent in IDV, is that
> possible?

Yes.

re:
> I mean, let's say I set up the Blue marble map, then load the GOES sat
> imagery in IR for example, and use a scale the I defined with some part of
> it transparent, it still has the black back ground, until I export it in
> kmz format. That would be great to be able to able to avoid to go to kmz
> format and stay in IDV all the way... I don't know if I make any sense,
> please let me know,

Hmm... I routinely make the background portion of an image transparent
so that the display on top of the NASA Blue Marble looks nice.  I have
attached an example GIF image that shows what I mean.  Please let me know
if this is, in fact, what you are wanting to do.

Cheers,

Tom

Ticket ID: SXB-674928
Department: Support Datastream