19990223: scouring, both ldm and mcidas

>From: address@hidden

>Is there a way to set scouring to less than 24 hours?
>
>I'd love to be able to discard some of the HRS stuff long before
>it is a day old.
>
>Bill
>

>                 ________________________________
>
>William T. Corcoran                 Southwest Missouri State University
>address@hidden            Springfield, Missouri 65804
>(417) 836-5781                      Department of Geography
>    http://cirrus.smsu.edu   for my view of the weather

Bill,

I use the following script to scour by a number of files, rather than
by day:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< scour_bynumber.csh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
#!/bin/csh -f

if($#argv < 2) then
   echo 'Usage: scour_bynumber.csh directory pattern [number]'
   exit
endif

if($#argv == 3) then
   set KEEP=$3
else
   set KEEP=1
endif

cd $1

set FILES=`ls -r *${2}*`

if($#FILES > $KEEP) then
echo SCOUR $2
   @ COUNT = $KEEP + 1
   while ($COUNT <= $#FILES)
      echo "   scour $FILES[${COUNT}]"
      rm -f $FILES[${COUNT}]
      @ COUNT = $COUNT + 1
   end
endif

I use the above script for scouring things like RUC data, where I
only want to keep the last 1 or 2 runs, instead of 8 per day (leads
to 15 files in a directory at 1 time if using scour).

I invoke the above script like:
scour_bynumber.csh ~ldm/data/gempak/hds ruc2 2

The result of the above is to scour all files in the
~ldm/data/gempak/hds data directory that have "ruc2" in their name
down to 2 files (the last complete file plus the one currently
getting data).

Steve Chiswell