19990825: wxbox setup

Tony-

I've been poking around on wxbox this afternoon.  Here are a couple
of things I've found:

1) I was able to run McIDAS with no problem as the user McIDAS, thus
I'm wondering what you meant when you said McIDAS never came up.

2) I see you are getting ready to build GEMPAK.  I made a couple
of modifications:

  - I changed the line in .cshrc to include the full path to the
    Gemenviron file. (/usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/Gemenviron).
    Otherwise, you would get an error that it couldn't find the
    file (unless you were in the correct directory).

  - I also added the following before that line:

    umask 002
    #
    #   Exit if non-interactive.
    #
    if ($?0 || ! $?prompt) exit 0

    so it would set the appropriate umask and it would not
    source Gemenviron, if this wasn't an interactive session.
    Without the latter, you'd get extraneous output from commands
    like "which".

  - I already downloaded the new Makeinc.x86 to the $NAWIPS/config
    directory.  It should be all set up for your configuration.

  - I had to modify the Makefile in the $GARPHOME directory because
    I found an error when trying to build on another machine.  The
    location of libf2c.a was hardcoded for /usr/lib but on your
    system, it is in /usr/local/lib.  I made a change so it would
    use the location specified in Makeinc.x86 instead of having it
    hardcoded.

  - I downloaded a copy of the Perl script fort77 from our system
    to /usr/local/bin.  You will need this to compile under Solaris
    X86 using gcc.

You should be all set to build GEMPAK at this point.  To do so, you
should:

1) Log on as the user gempak.
2) Edit /usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/Gemenviron.  Delete the following
   line:

   setenv GEMDATA   /shemp/gempak

   This will then use the line above that one to set GEMDATA to be
   /var/data/ldm/gempak Save the file and then:

3) get into the C Shell by typing csh at the command line.  This will
   source the Gemenviron file.
4) cd to $NAWIPS
5) Type:

    make all > & make.out &

6) Watch the build progress by typing:

   tail -40f make.out

If there are any errors or problems with the build, let me know and
I'll take a look.

Let us know what your problem with McIDAS is and if you need help
rectifying the problem.

Don