Re: 19991122: more agin..more on not enough colors with GARP

Steve,

I am running one of those Sun 8/24 cards that lets you run
8-bit programs separate from 24.  McIDAS and GARP would
compete with each other, but Netscape runs in full 24 bit
mode and does not affect the 8-bit.  Xdpyinfo is below.
I reran the frame buffer config program and confirmed that I
am in 8/24 bit mode.  I confirmed this by opening four
copies of Netscape (running in full color mode).  I can
still start McIDAS and GARP, but still can't use McIDAS
with the full 128 gray levels or view sat pics with GARP.
I have not made any changes that I am aware of, yet aomething
seems to be consuming colors that the 8-bit programs need.

/export/home/weather% ntl
graphic, satellite, radar -- 33 128 16
         Request total # of colors = 177
         Current available system colors = 140
/export/home/weather%

I even tried running in 8-bit only mode and same thing(see above)

Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks,
Robert

name of display:    psnldm:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Sun Microsystems, Inc.
vendor release number:    3610
maximum request size:  262140 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    5
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 132
focus:  window 0x4c00009, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    21
    AccessX
    Adobe-DPS-Extension
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPSExtension
    GLX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    Multi-Buffering
    SHAPE
    SUN_ALLPLANES
    SUN_DGA
    SUN_OVL
    SUN_SME
    SYNC
    SolarisIA
    XC-MISC
    XIE
    XInputDeviceEvents
    XInputExtension
    XTEST
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (289x217 millimeters)
  resolution:    90x90 dots per inch
  depths (3):    1, 8, 24
  root window id:    0x29
  depth of root window:    8 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
  largest cursor:    unlimited
  current input event mask:    0x38003f
    KeyPressMask             KeyReleaseMask           ButtonPressMask
    ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask          LeaveWindowMask
    SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
  number of visuals:    5
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    GrayScale
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x24
    class:    StaticColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x7, 0x38, 0xc0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x25
    class:    StaticGray
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x26
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Replied: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:35:35 -0700
Replied: weather <address@hidden>
Replied: address@hidden