20030421: Gempak 5.6.j installation

Mark,

I'd have to see your link problems using the mm5togem and the libraries
to tell what your problem was there. In the support archives, I did help
someone else a while back with a similar problem where their source code was
expecting GEMPAK5.4 libraries, and therefore not finding the correct library
routines when linking against 5.6.

In your attempt to build from source, I found:

   ar rv /usr/gempak2/lib/linux/libpng.a png.o pngset.o pngget.o pngrutil.o
   pngtrans.o pngwutil.o pngread.o pngrio.o pngwio.
   o pngwrite.o pngrtran.o pngwtran.o pngmem.o pngerror.o pngpread.o
   ar: /usr/gempak2/lib/linux/libpng.a: No such file or directory

this seems to say that the Makefile in $NAWIPS was not able to create the
directory $GEMLIB (eg $NAWIPS/lib/linux) which is done in the .INIT action
of the Makefile. Try creating the directory manually with:
mkdir -p $GEMLIB

then do a "make clean", followed by "make all" and "make install".

Steve

Dr. Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support
address@hidden