[GEMPAK #YXP-386766]: GEMPAK - Compiling problem

> Institution: NOAA
> Package Version: 5.9
> Operating System: Fedora Core 5 64-bit
> Hardware Information: Dual AMD Opteron
> Inquiry: I am running into problems compiling GEMPAK with FC5. Initially, I
> thought it was due to the fact that g77 was not installed and GEMPAK didn't
> like g95. However, after installing f77 I still had problems, and realized
> that GEMPAK was looking for X11 libraries which are not on my system (since
> it is using xorg). Someone mentioned I should try to install the
> xorg-x11-depracted-libs RPMs, but I soon discovered that these are not
> available for FC5 (last I could find were for FC4). Any thoughts on what to
> do from here?

Thomas,

We have a machine here running FC5, with X11 libraries in the usual /usr/X11R6
location.
You do always have to ensure that you have installed a development environment
(eg headers and libraries are installed) and not just a runtime environment.
Also, you will need to install openmotif, which commonly isn't installed.

Please provide your build error messages that indicate which X11
headers/libraries are
not installed on your system.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support