[GEMPAK #PKR-554453]: .gem to .nc

Hi Sharon-

The easiest way might be to use the netcdf-Java library if you have Java on
your system.  The full library is available at:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf-java/v4.1/netcdfAll-4.1.jar

Download that and then run:

java -Xmx512m -classpath netcdfAll-4.1.jar;.
ucar.nc2.iosp.gempak.GempakGridServiceProvider GEM_FILE.gem NETCDF_FILE.nc

where GEM_FILE.gem is the name of the GEMPAK grid file and NETCDF_FILE.nc is
whatever you want the output called.  This only works for grid files.

Don Murray

> I am writing to find out if you know of a convenient way to convert
> "gem" files to "nc" (or another format that could be read by MATLAB).
> So far the options I have come up with are:
>
> - to use the gdlist program and do a significant amount of post-processing
>
> - use the gdgrib program (so far that is not working and I am getting an
> error about the coordinate system being rotated) - then convert the grib
> files to netcdf
>
> - write a Fortran program to do it
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> They would be greatly appreciated