IDD fail over scheme

Hiya,

A failover scheme was developed in Jan but I didn't distribute it to the
proper lists. At least next time sites will know the fail over process.
I suggest sites' test their access before a critical situation occurs like
yesterday.  A simple test would be to do a notifyme to a site, ie.

% notifyme -vl - -h <fail over site>

At this time Alden is not operational.

Thanks,
Robb...

This scheme is only for sites presently having access to feed from thelma.

The IDD fail over scheme is:

- if thelma fails, fall over to iita.  This will result in the minimal
  network changes.

- If both thelma and iita are unreachable, fail over to SSEC and Alden.
  The sites will have to make the decision for the best connection.

- There will also be an alternative site, Cornell for the northeast.
  Cornell is also positioned on the vBNS.

UCAR     thelma.ucar.edu  iita.rap.ucar.edu
SSEC     noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu
ALDEN    nport.alden.com
CORNELL  snow.cit.cornell.edu