[Support #YRR-987022]: Fwd: issue displaying 3D fields overlayed on terrain

Hi Randy-

> Can IDV interpolate the staggered variables to the
> non-staggered or mass points (like w and the
> geopotential).

Yes, but it's memory intensive and not out of the box.  Whenever we do math
or combine grids, the grids are resampled to a common domain which is
essentially the  domain of the first grid in the equation.  So for calculating
wind speed from u and v, we resample v to the u grid and then
do the calculation (sqrt(u*u+v*v)).  The resulting grid has the
domain of u.   There is a formula under the Grids category called
Resample Grid.  So, you could use this and take the T grid which  is
unstaggered, and resample the other grids to that, then use those
in formulas to calculate the quantities you want.

Don

Ticket ID: YRR-987022