[IDV #PWO-933032]: Wind shear problems

Hi Jim-

> Full Name: Jim Limbacher
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: I am still getting this error even though I am
> selecting three levels.  Is there a way to calculate wind shear from 2
> different files(1 u and 1 v at various levels)?  Could you recommend a
> function for me seeing how the one I made is not working.  I get an error for
> everything I do.
> Creating display: Color-Filled Contour Plan View
> org.python.core.PyException

Alright, let's take a step back.

In your formula:

sqrt(tU*tU+tV*tV)-sqrt(bU*bU+bV*bV)

are tU and bU different variables or are t and b constants?

Are you trying to do a layer shear?  If so, how are you selecting
the layers?

Have you tried the formula Grids->Layer Wind Shear?

That will allow you to select the layers, and then select the
the U, V and Z components.  You'll need Z to calculate dz between
the layers.  If you just want a magnitude of the speed
difference, it might take a little Jython to do the appropriate
slicing.

Don Murray

> Stack trace:
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: 'javainstance' object has no attribute '__call__'

Ticket ID: PWO-933032