[IDV #IAQ-137060]: Isentropic potential vorticity

Hi Andy-

> Thanks, Don. I am still an IDV neophyte and not clear on what can be done and
> what can't.

No problem.

> In the "Quicklinks" there is an IPV bundle set up to work with NAM gridded
> data, but I see that IPV isosurfaces are plotted at their geopotential
> height, not their potential temperature.

Correct.

>I assume that this same plot format can be done with GFS data, but have not
>yet managed to get the right sequence of "clicks". Give me a couple of more
>tries and hopefully I will have it.

When you load in the GFS data, expand the 3D grids->Derived choice and you
should see
Isentropic Potential Vorticity (from Temperature & absvort) listed.  Select 3D
Surface->
Isosurface for your display.  It will take a while to compute the values since
it has to
compute it for the entire volume.  You might want to do one timestep first to
make sure
it works for you.

> Also in the "Quicklinks", there is a thetae-3D bundle. Theta-e is plotted as
> an isosurface, but the vertical coordinate is unclear. Is it geopotential
> height?

It's really altitude of the pressure values in the standard atmosphere.  The
IDV maps
the pressure vertical coordinate to the height in the standard atmosphere.

> Plotting various parameters on isentropic surfaces (potential vorticity,
> winds, water vapor mixing ratio, Montgomery stream function, etc.) would be
> very useful pedagogically. I suppose if it was easy, it would already be an
> option in IDV.

It's on our list of things to do.  Again, if you have the isentropic GEMPAK
grids you can do
this as 2D plots where we do a linear scaling of the theta vertical coordiante
to altitude
to place it in the 3D box.  The GEMPAK  GDVINT program does not create a HGHT
variable,
but if it did, you could use the 2D field over topography to display the true
location
in 3D space.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: IAQ-137060