[IDV #UUA-646727]: list of miscellaneous locations/

Hi HP-

> Full Name: HansPeter Roesli
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.8a1 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Windows Vista
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.8a1\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi -
>
> Every now and then I am in need to label a location not found in
> Locations. Up to now I add them to an ad-hoc Text Point Data file.
> While this bbasically works, it has the drawback that beyond the
> information necessary to specify the location you have to add a dummy
> for the time information. It would be nice if one could create a file
> specific to locations only (w/o time), and/or add locations to the
> standard list(s) already loaded.
>
> Am I overlooking something here, or is this feature missing?

You can create a file of locations using the formats listed at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/data/LocationXml.html

You can load these files in as "Locations" Data Source Type through the
file chooser.

If you want to keep a permanent list that is available through the
Displays->Locations menu, create a file in ~/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv called
userstations.xml using the Locations XML format.  You can have multiple
station tables in a file using a format like:

<stationtables>

<stationtable name="SubsetA" category="My Custom Stations">
(list of stations for subset A)
</stationable>

<stationtable name="SubsetB" category=My Custom Stations">
(list of stations for subset B)
</stationtable>
</stationtables>

This will show up in the Display->Locations menu as a top menu called
My Custom Stations and sub menus SubsetA and SubsetB.

I'll update the web page above to add in this information.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: UUA-646727